Canada’s Start-up Visa Program targets immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build businesses in Canada that:
- are innovative
- can create jobs for Canadians
- can compete on a global scale
Do you have an innovative business idea? If you can get support for your idea from one of the designated organizations, you may be able to immigrate to Canada.
There are many reasons why Canada is the best place to build your business. Canada’s advantages include:
- a strong economy
- low taxes
- low business costs
- excellence in research and innovation
- a high quality of life
Find out if you’re eligible – Start-up Visa
Prove your business is supported by a designated organization
Before you can apply for the Start-up Visa Program, you must have the support of a designated organization. These are business groups that have been approved to invest in or support possible start-ups.
If a designated organization decides to support your business, it will give you a Letter of Support.
You must include the Letter of Support with your application. If you do not include the letter or do not meet any of the requirements below, we will refuse your application.
Show that your business meets the ownership requirements
Up to five people can apply for the Start-up Visa Program as owners of a single business. However, to meet the ownership requirements:
- each applicant must hold at least 10 percent of the voting rights in the business and
- the designated organization and the applicants must jointly hold more than 50 per cent of the voting rights in the business.
Meet the language requirements
The ability to communicate and work in English, French, or both will help your business succeed in Canada.
You must take a language test from an approved agency and include the results with your application, or we will not process it.
You must meet the minimum level of the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 in either English or French in all of these four areas:
Use your test results to find your CLB level.
If you do not meet the minimum language skills, we will refuse your application.
Bring enough money to settle
The Government of Canada does not give financial support to new Start-up Visa immigrants.
You must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada. You cannot borrow this money from another person. You will need to give proof that you have the money when you apply.
The amount you will need depends on the size of your family. We update these amounts every year.
Please check the funds’ requirements
Canada Visa Types
- Temporary Resident Permits Visa to Canada
- Family sponsorship Visa Immigration to Canada
- Study Visa to Canada
- Work Visa to Canada
- Start-up Visa to Canada
- Skilled Worker Express Entry Immigration to Canada
- Self Employed Visa Immigration to Canada
- Investor Immigrant Visa to Canada
- Official Visas to Canada
- Diplomatic Visas to Canada
- U.S. government officials Visa to Canada
- Temporary Residents Visa to Canada
- Facilitation Visas to Canada
- Super Visa to Canada
- Diplomatic and Official Visas to Canada
- Resources: Immigration and citizenship to Canada Offical Website