A work permit or authorization to work without a permit is required in order for a foreign national to be allowed to work in Canada. There are specific requirements that must be met by the foreign national and the employer under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) or the International Mobility Program (IMP).
There are two types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits.
An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer:
- who is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions, or
- who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages.
You can only get an open work permit in specific situations.
An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:
- the name of the employer you can work for,
- how long you can work, and
- the location where you can work (if applicable).
General eligibility requirements
No matter where you apply, you must:
- prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires,
- show that you have enough money to take care of yourself and your family members during your stay in Canada and to return home,
- obey the law and have no record of criminal activity (we may ask you to give us a police clearance certificate),
- not be a danger to Canada’s security,
- be in good health and have a medical exam, if needed,
- not plan to work for an employer listed with the status “ineligible” on the list of employers who failed to comply with the conditions,
- not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages, and
- give the officer any other documents they ask for to prove you can enter the country.
Canada Visa Types
- Temporary Resident Permits Visa to Canada
- Family sponsorship Visa Immigration to Canada
- Study Visa to Canada
- Work Visa to Canada
- Start-up Visa to Canada
- Skilled Worker Express Entry Immigration to Canada
- Self Employed Visa Immigration to Canada
- Investor Immigrant Visa to Canada
- Official Visas to Canada
- Diplomatic Visas to Canada
- U.S. government officials Visa to Canada
- Temporary Residents Visa to Canada
- Facilitation Visas to Canada
- Super Visa to Canada
- Diplomatic and Official Visas to Canada
- Resources: Immigration and citizenship to Canada Offical Website